Descent Into Avernus
Descent into Avernus is an end game campaign. Contrarily to other places, where you only need 60k in most of your stats to reach the cap, you need 85k in most of your stats (135k in Combat Advantage) in Avernus, both in the Vallenhas area and in the Infernal Citadel. That means : you will have trouble if you go there without a proper companion, companion gear (from expeditions in Undermountain) and high rank bonding runestones.
Reaching Stat Caps
One way to boost your stats (on top of companion gear, bonding runestones and a legendary companion) is via companions that give plenty of stat points. The very best ones are the Wandering Scarecrow (4k Armor Penetration, 2k Defense), Black Dragon Ioun Stone (8k Critical Strike), and Staldorf (8k Combat Advantage). You can also get tons of Accuracy through a Guiding Ring of the Spy or a Guiding Ring of the Sharp-shooter (legendary variant).
If you cannot cap your stats (especially Armor Penetration, Critical Strike and Defense), it is very recommanded to use an augment companion, even in the Vallenhas area for soloing. It is okay to trade some Power with other stats (remember that going from 100k to 200k Power only improves your damage by 50%, while you can do double damage with Combat Advantage), but as soon as you are not capped for Armor Penetration and Critical Strike, you lose much more than what you could get with Combat Advantage (Accuracy is less important but still relevant). And you won’t survive long if your Defense is not capped.
From hunts and Juma bags
- Fancy Duelist Mast of Cormyr (head, 1225 ilvl) : 5k more Power when in combat with only one enemy, 1225 Armor Penetration, 1225 Combat Advantage. Loot from the Abyssal Flock (rare monster), or Juma bags.
- Infernal Offering Helm (head, 1225 ilvl) : gain 400 Power every 5s after the start of a fight to a maximum of 4800 after 1 minute (12 stacks), then lose 450 Power every 5s to a total loss of 4200 Power after 2m40s (20 stacks, less than 0 Power after 1m55s), 1225 Armor Penetration, 1225 Critical Strike. From Sir Galahan and Pippy (rare monster), or Juma bags.
- Spiked Defender Vambrace (arms, 1225 ilvl) : gain up to 5% damage resistance when you strike an enemy, gain up to 5% more damage when you get hit, 2450 Critical Strike, 980 Armor Penetration. Loot from Juma bags (Avernus).
- Frenzy Mitts (arms, 1225 ilvl) : gain 300 Power per enemy you are engaged with (up to 4500), 2450 Accuracy, 980 Armor Penetration. Loot from Ralbog the Ruined (rare monster), or Juma bags.
- Mighty Storm Slippers (feet, 1225 ilvl) : gain 5k Power when action points are full, 1225 Critical Strike, 1225 Combat Advantage. Loot from Jugg the Destroyer (rare monster), or Juma bags.
- Rusted Iron Leggings (feet, 1225 ilvl) : 5% more damage but -25% Incoming Healing, 1225 Critical Avoidance, 1225 Awareness. From Abomination (rare monster), or Juma bags.
From the Infernal Citadel dungeon
- Book of Vile Darkness (artefact) : 3k Power, 1.5k Armor Penetration, 1.5k Deflection. Active : for 6s, at-wills either (one effect per activation) increase your damage resistance by 0.5%, or decrease the target’s damage by 0.5%, or decrease the damage resistance of the target by 0.5%, stacks 6 times.
- The Engine Master’s Mantle (neck, 980 ilvl) : 1960 Armor Penetration, 1960 Critical Strike, 5 CON.
- Whip of the Erinyes (waist, 980 ilvl) : 1960 Defense, 1960 Accuracy, +2 INT, +2 CHA.
Set Bonus : increase damage dealt by 2.5%, +2.5% more against demons, devils and fiends. Best in the mod 18 area and a couple other places like Demogorgon. Drop from the Infernal Citadel.
Bosses also drop items that are necessary to buy the Lion Guard Set in the campaign store. You can only get one item per week, so choose wisely and pass on items you do not want (you need 3 or 4 items to get a single piece of gear). These pieces of gear, apart from the armor piece, are pretty good. Though many of them are situational and may not be the best, depending on your playstyle.
- Lion Guard’s Restoration Coif (head, 1250 ilvl) : 5k more Power when stamina is above 75%, 1750 Critical Strike, 750 Critical Avoidance.
- Lion Guard’s Restoration Braces (arms, 1250 ilvl) : gain 250 Power when you hit an enemy (up to 5000 Power, at 20 stacks), lose a stack when you get hit. 1250 Critical Strike, 1250 Deflection.
- Lion Guard’s Restoration Cuisses (feet, 1250 ilvl) : gain 300 Power per enemy you are engaged with (up to 4500 with 15 enemies). 1250 Critical Strike, 1250 Critical Avoidance.
- Lion Guard’s Raid Coif (head, 1250 ilvl) : 5k more Power when stamina is above 75%, 1500 Crtitical Strike, 1000 Combat Advantage.
- Lion Guard’s Raid Braces (arms, 1250 ilvl) : gain 250 Power when you strike an enemy (up to 5k Power with 20 stacks), lose a stack when you get hit, 1500 Armor Penetration, 1000 Accuracy.
- Lion Guard’s Raid Cuisses (feet, 1250 ilvl) : 300 Power per enemy you are engaged with (up to 4500 with 15 enemies), 1500 Critical Strike, 1000 Combat Advantage.
From Seals of the Fallen
You get Seals of the Fallen every time you beat an Heroic Encounters in Vallenhas, or when you complete Epic or Trial Random queues (once a day). These seals can be used to buy items from a Seal Trader. The Boots are particularly interesting for boss fights (especially long ones). Clothes are great but there are alternatives with specific ones from FE’s. Other items are good to start with, but not best in slot.
- Infernal Forged Gaiters (feet, 1225 ilvl) : gain 200 Power per 5s in a fight (to a maximum of 4800 with 24 stacks after 2 minutes), 1440 Critical Strike, 960 Combat Advantage, can be upgraded twice, up to 1230 ilvl with items obtained in Avernus Wastes (it will gain slightly more stats points, and eventually 1% damage against Demons, Devils, and Fiends).
- Infernal Forged Restoration Shirt (shirt, 1200 ilvl) : gain 1% action point when you damage or heal your target for more than 15% of your maximum HP (5s cooldown), 2400 Critical Strike, 2400 Combat Advantage.
- Infernal Forged Raid/Ward Trousers (trousers, 1200 ilvl) : 5% movement speed for 10s when you are damaged for more than 15% of your maximum HP (5s cooldown), 1603 Defense, 3197 Critical Avoidance or Deflection.
Juma is an imprisoned merchant on the left side, outside of the Stronghold, close to the Seal vendor and the target dummies. For 100 Chaotic Writings, he will give you a Suprise Bag. In this bag, you can get a piece of gear (any from the Antiquities of Avernus, in the Descent into Avernus collection), some AD, or occasionnaly a random mount or companion, or companion upgrade tokens (20). The easiest ways to get Chaotic Writings are by farming Heroic Encounters throughout Vallenhas (especially the Siege and Balgura ‘Ape’ ones) or by doing any quest in Vallenhas (your weekly quests give you plenty).
In order to get many of the new items in Vallenhas, you can look for specific rare monsters that can drop specific pieces of gear (drop rate seems pretty high, but it’s not guaranteed). These monsters only spawn when their surroundings are cleared from other monsters or heroic encounters. If they are patrolling, it is also required to get rid of the patrols on the same path. Here are two maps that show the different items rare monsters drop, where they spawn, and their patrol path if they have one.
Northside’s map, which shows all the items, monsters and paths.
@Scoaterboat0 and @cakecarrot96’s map, which shows more detailed paths, but not the items associated to the monsters.
Rage of Bel
The rage of Bel update added a new farm to the game. It starts with the Infernal Reconnaissance quest from Alric. After a series of quests, you will receive an amulet which you can charge by 20% every day in Insurgencies. Once it’s at 100% it will be upgraded to the next quality, until it reaches Mythic. This upgrade gives you access to the best rewards from Alyssa Misdani, and the box she sells will also be updated with new rewards. You will also receive a trinket (which you can put in your belt, where you have potions, stones of health…), the Forger’s Box, which you can upgrade to Mythic, and which buffs your Power and a random stat.
Insurgencies are only available 1H after Bel goes away. They are available when the Rage of Bel meter is filling on the map. To get there, from the Vallenhas main campfire inside the Stronghold (where you spawn when you teleport to Vallenhas), look on your left. If the insurgencies are available, there will be a red portal there. Enter the portals and kill monsters to fill your amulet.
Once the Rage of Bel meter is full, Bel will spawn for the next hour and will be available through a portal near the Siege Heroic Encounter. You can face him alone (the easy way but you get less rewards, great to learn the mechanics first), or with a group.
The Bel fight has a couple of phases. First phase, you can dps Bel until the first threshold. Then he will teleport to where he spawns, will be invulnerable, and players will have aoes spawning on their feet. If you are playing in a group, you should wait for 3 red warnings to spawn at your feet before you move, so that aoes are all at the same place and the arena is not covered with fire. The fire hurts a lot. One of the player will have a blue orb on their head. It means, they have to look for the boulder, which is indicated by a blue light, and then put the boulder into a catapult (also indicated with a blue light, not just any catapult). Once the boulder hits Bel, he is vulnerable and you’ll deal lots of damage to him, but he will quickly push you away and will be invulenrable again for about 5s. Then you’ll have a couple of other thresholds until you beat him down to 25%. After a last boulder phase, after he pushes you away (not when he’s vulnerable), you will have to use every debuff/daily/power you have to burn him down quickly, because he will fight you while aoes also put the arena on fire. When fighting with a group, there will be fire everywhere if you cannot kill him quickly. If you are alone, you will obtain 4 Infernal Secrets (which you can use to get rewards from Alyssa), +1 per player in the group, to a maximum of 9. There’s also a hard mode, which gives more rewards, but not too many people manage to beat it (even with very good players). You can obtain up to 54 Infernal Secrets every day. That is beating Bel 6 times with a full group.
The Forger’s Box
At the Mythic quality, the Forger’s Box improves Power by 2800, and a random stat (Critical Strike, Accuracy, or Combat Advantage by 1750, or Critical Severity, Action Point gain, or Recharge Speed by 6%), for 30 minutes. It can be renewed every 10 minutes.
To upgrade the Forger’s Box you need Metal Rods, which you can find in many different places (only once you have completed the first series of quests from the Rage of Bel episode).
- The Reinforced Metal Rod can be found in Heroic Encounters in Vallenhas.
- The Broken Metal Rod can be found in nodes everywhere in Neverwinter.
- The Balanced Metal Rod can be bought from Alyssa once you have the Marshal rank.
- The Battle Worn Metal Rod drops from bosses in insurgencies.
- The Infused Metal Rod drops from Bel.
- The Dented Metal Rod is a random loot from the Ornate Box of Vallenhas Treasues, bought from Alyssa for 5k AD and 15 Infernal Secrets (once you have upgraded your amulet to the highest rank).
It’s a nice trinket, but the farm is real ! It’s been improved though.