Keep in mind that race bonuses are very small and that the most important thing to consider when creating your character is how good it looks to you. You will play with this character for many hours, maybe hundreds, even thousands, if you really like the game. There are ways to change the race or appearance of your character, but you won’t get them often, at least not for free (you can get them in the Zen Market). There are races (indicated by the icon : ) you have to buy to be able to play them (in the Zen Market, Auction House, or directly with real money, depending on the race).
- Human : +3 to any ability score, +250 to all stats.
- Half-Orc : +5% critical severity, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution or Strength, 10% movement speed bonus at start of combat.
- Wood Elf : +1500 Critical Strike, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence or Wisdom, 10% resistance to slow.
- Sun Elf : 2% action point gain, +2 intelligence, +2 dexterity or charisma, 10% resistance to control effects.
- Dwarf : +2000 defense, +2 constitution, +2 strength or wisdom, 20% resistance to knock or push.
- Halfling : +1500 deflect, +2 dexterity, +2 charisma or constitution, 10% resistance to control effects.
- Half-Elf : +1500 deflect, +2 constitution, +2 charisma or wisdom, +1 to one ability score.
- Tiefling : +5% damage to targets below 50% HP, +2 charisma, +2 constitution or intelligence, 10% chance to reduce attacker’s attack by 2.5% for 5 seconds.
- Drow : +2 dexterity, +2 charisma or wisdom, increased HP regeneration out of combat, 5% chance to reduce attacker’s defense by 2000 for 4 seconds.
- Dragonborn : +1500 critical strike, +3% damage, +2 to any two ability scores, +5% incoming healing. Obtainable from the Dragonborn Race Pack, which can only be bought with real money on consoles, or in the Zen Market on PC.
- Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn : +1500 critical strike, +3% damage, +2 to any two ability scores, +3% incoming healing, +3% HP. Obtainable via the Sigil of the Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn, sometimes in the Zen Market or in the Auction House.
- Gith : +5000 combat advantage, +2 dexterity, +2 strength or intelligence, +3% stamina regeneration. Obtainable from the Gith Race Pack in the Zen Market.
- Moon Elf : +1% action point gain, +1% stamina gain, +2 intelligence, +2 dexterity or charisma, 10% resistance to control effects. Obtainable from the Moon Elf Race Pack in the Zen Market.
- Menzoberranzan Renegade : +2 dexterity, +2 charisma or wisdom, increased HP regeneration out of combat, 5% chance to reduce attacker’s defense by 1500 and attacker’s damage by 2.5% for 4 seconds. Obtainable from the Menzoberranzan Renegade Race Pack, which can only be bought with real money on consoles, or in the Zen Market on PC.
- Aasimar : +2 to any two ability scores, grants 1% HP to the whole party (not stackable), improves damage dealt, outgoing healing, incoming healing, and maximum hit points, and reduces damage taken, by 1%. Obtainable by completing all 4 milestones of the Zariel episodes (requires buying all 4 blessings in the Zen Market).
Best races :
As a Tank :
Dragonborn > Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn > Aasimar > Gith > Half-Orc > Dwarf > Any with Constitution > Any
Incoming Healing and HP are very important for a Tank, and that makes Dragonborn, and Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn, the best races for a Tank. Aasimar is also a very good race for a tank because of this. Stamina regeneration is also crucial, and that makes Gith a very good race for a Tank too. From the non-premium races, Half-Orc is a race with great bonuses (movement speed being quite interesting for Tanks), and Dwarf is a good race too. Any other race is good enough, especially those with bonus stat points, as Tanks need to cap almost all of their stats.
As a Healer :
Aasimar > Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn > Dragonborn > Wood Elf > Half-Orc > Any with Wisdom > Any
Aasimar is certainly the best race for a Healer because of the Outgoing Healing and extra HP given to the party. Any race with Wisdom and Constitution or Dexterity bonuses is great for Healers, especially Dragonborn races, and Wood Elf (for the Critical Strike). Half-Orc is the race which actually improves the average heal the most, but it's best to improve regular heals more than critical ones. Any other race is good enough. Keep in mind that 1% Outgoing Healing is a ridiculously small bonus.
As a Damage Dealer :
Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn > Dragonborn > Tiefling > Aasimar > Half-Orc > Gith > Any with Strength or Intelligence and Dexterity > Any
For the 3% damage bonus, Dragonborn races are the best for a Damage Dealer. The Tiefling race is also very potent, as they deal 5% more damage to targets below 50% HP (an average 2.5% damage, not always effective at the best times... but there are a couple of dps checks on targets with low HP, on which the 5% bonus will be fully effective). For the small damage boost and the extra survivability, the Aasimar race is pretty good for a Damage Dealer. Half-Orc is a good race for melee Damage Dealers, especially for the Critical Severity. Gith is also a quite good race, as it offers 5000 Combat Advantage, which is a stat Damage Dealers need plenty of. Other races are good enough. Keep in mind that 2-3% damage make very little difference compared to the way you play.